Thursday

My First Crush...by Lacey Shanks

I think it is very ironic that my first crush was a boy named Tommy and now I am married to a man named Tommy. If you are wondering it is not the same Tommy, haha! I honestly can't remember if it was kindergarten or first grade, but that crush lasted a very long time. How long? All the way to second grade. Tommy was the cutest boy in class and talked the most. He had spiky hair, slight dimples and tan skin. He was always talking about girls. I thought he was so dreamy. Although I didn't have a word for it then I remember my thoughts were that he was so mature for his age. He didn't bully anyone, he was kind to everyone and he liked to chase me on the playground and play teeter ball with me.

Just outside of my teenage years I went to visit my hometown and had to do a drive-by of the neighborhood I grew up in. Afterwards I wanted a few more nostalgic memories so we stopped at the 7-Eleven for a Big Gulp. Could you guess who I saw? Yep, Tommy my first crush standing less then five feet from me and he looked exactly like he did all those years ago accept taller. It's funny, how we change, a much older me was not at all attracted now to him. I was about to say, hello, but the words never came out of my mouth. I guess I was still in shock to see him and the fact that he looked exactly like he did in elementary school which amazed me. He quickly pulled off in a church bus and that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop Lacey a note...